Friday, September 11, 2009

Field Research


Sure, imagination is a great thing. But it’s no substitute real experience.

Last weekend I was working on my comedy script. I have a scene where a couple of baddies exchange the stolen MacGuffin. Then things are supposed to go bad.

In the outlining stages, I figured that a truck stop would be a colorful, busy location for this to take place. So, I wrote out my scene but it just didn’t have any spark. It accomplished the basic actions required but felt sterile, and unauthentic. Unsatisfying and not very funny.

It wasn’t exactly writer’s block. It was just that I didn’t know much about my subject. So I hop in the car and run up to the nearest truck stop. Quite the experience. This location isn’t sterile. In fact it’s just oozing with character.

I wandered all over the place checking out weird (not to truckers, just to me) stuff, rebel flags, CB radios (Who knew anyone still sold those?) 37 types of beef jerky and rental showers.

Rental Showers!

What if one of the baddies shows up early and the other one is taking a shower? Now the deal goes down with one guy holding a towel around his waist. That’s comedy gold. And when they chase each other around the parking lot and through the truck wash, well that’s got lots of potential.

I never would have thought of rental showers.

Sometimes you have to just go out and experience stuff. Get your imagination kick started then let it take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment