Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Rich Are Different


This 1957 Ferrari 250 TR sold this weekend for a record setting $12,153,548.00. While it’s certainly a handsome and significant car it seems odd to me that record prices for any luxury item can be set in these financially troubled times. I know people that have lost their jobs, homes, businesses, health insurance, etc. These people are truly hurting. They’re enduring life altering changes.


On the other hand, I can almost guarantee, that this Ferrari is a mere bauble for the person that bought it. It’s a prized possession to be sure but just one of a string of valued purchases that are bought and sold as temporary amusements.


Don’t get me wrong. I’d love to own this car and I can’t blame its present owner. As Ferris Bueller said "I highly recommend it if you have the means." There just seems to be such a gap between the haves and the have nots these days that a record like this is more a cause for reflection than celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment